Reactivation of Coverage & Billing
On March 23, 2020, Allstate Benefits announced an extended premium payment grace period for customers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. This grace period extends for up to 120 days and expires on July 20, 2020. At the end of the extended grace period, normal coverage lapsing rules will resume.
To further support customers who have had to make difficult staffing decisions during this time, Allstate Benefits has instituted a Reactivation of Coverage accommodation for our products. Through this accommodation employee coverage can resume without reenrollment if they return to work by November 1, 2020.
Here’s What You Need to Know:
- Allstate Benefits will communicate directly with impacted employees once we have been notified by the employer that they have been removed from payroll deduction. Depending on the products they’ve chosen and state regulations, they may be eligible to continue their coverage while they are away from work by paying their premiums directly to Allstate Benefits. If their products are not eligible or if they choose not to continue making payments, their coverage will lapse.
- The Reactivation of Coverage accommodation means that impacted employees’ coverage will resume automatically when the employee returns to work, without the need for reenrollment. This accommodation is available to employees who return to work by November 1, 2020. Payroll deductions will resume on the return to work date for the employee’s existing coverage.
- There will be no charge for premiums for the period the employee was away from work, however, there will be a gap in coverage for any policies/certificates that lapsed during this time. The employee’s premium may increase if deductions were based on attained age and the employee moved to a new age bracket during the gap in coverage.
- Employers must notify Allstate Benefits via email of the return to work date by November 1, 2020. The email must include: the Allstate Group or Account number, the employee(s) name, associate ID, product types and return to work date. Employer’s should first send a request to ABFEPPlan@allstate.com to obtain a secure email for file transmission.
- Employees that return to work after November 1, 2020, will need to re-enroll for Allstate Benefits coverage.